PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

An Injured Finger and a Room Renovation

What in the world possessed us to listen to a five year old four years ago when we were renovating our upstairs?  At the time, Imani insisted she wanted carpet in her bedroom, despite the fact that we were installing hardwood floors throughout the rest of the upstairs.

Three years later, Imani came to the realization that, as always, her parents were right and she should have opted for hard wood.  But Jason and I were firm in our decision NOT to change Imani's carpeting to hard wood, since we were planning to move.

A year later and confident in our decision to keep our Cape, we decided it was time to tear our the carpeting and install hard wood.  In fact, our plans are to renovate Imani's room entirely.

Here is her room with the carpet and all of the toys, which I am determined to hide.



First, we cleared everything out of the room and put all of Imani's stuff in my room and in the upstairs bathroom.



Next, Jason carefully removed the baseboard.




And we began ripping up all of the carpet.



Underneath, we found the laminate tile of choice from the 1950s. 




Jason laid down the special flooring paper and did all of his mathematical calculations to square up the room. 

He headed off to buy a nail gun and air compressor.  I think he feels all grown up and powerful now that we own one of these:





Finally (and on Father's Day), Jason began to lay the hard wood. 

But not before a trip to the emergency room.

This trip was not because I was helping and accidentally shot a nail through my finger with the new nail gun (thank God, because that sounds quite painful).

Instead, it was due to something much more beautiful, but apparently equally as dangerous.  Perhaps you remember this:



I really liked this vase and had changed out the Easter theme with a simple candle display.  I was cleaning up the dining room after Imani and I made Jason a Father's Day breakfast.  I accidentally bumped the big vase that was on the table and grabbed for it as it began to fall.

I caught it, but the glass literally broke off in my hand and continued to fall, taking a chunk of the pad of my finger along with it.

I hate to admit that in the split second the vase broke, my thought was, "Darn it; I love that vase!"

I resisted the urge to cry and snagged a dish towel to wrap around my bleeding finger.  Whenever I get hurt, Imani FREAKS out and becomes hysterical, so I was determined to remain calm, even though it felt as if there was a hole in my finger.

"I'm fine, I promise" I assured her.  "It's okay; it's just a small cut."

Meanwhile, I walked to the kitchen and whispered to Jason in my tiniest voice, "I think it cut out a chunk of my finger."

He assured me, it didn't.

And then . . . we heard Imani's voice from the dining room.

"Mom, there is a piece of your finger on the ground!!! I swear.  Hurry up and get it."

Jason came to the rescue and picked up the piece of my finger so that we could go to the ER.

I assure you, dear reader, I am fine.  After a tetanus shot and lots of bandages, I am okay.  It took me a couple of days to be able to type, but all is good.  I was a little sad that I couldn't help Jason start the floor on Father's Day.




But, it's looking great!




And my daughter always makes me smile.



9 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! You're poor finger!
    First the platter, and now the VASE!
    Girrrrrl... what's the DEAL!? LOL.

    Dang, I hope your finger gets better soon!

    I can't wait to see the finished room! So exciting!
    ~Shell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it heals quickly! I'm sure you are anxious to get going on that room. The floor is looking great. And your daughter is so cute with her finger all wrapped up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a story! It was a cliff hanger there for a while!!! It is amazing what we can do for our children (i.e. remaining SO calm when part of your finger is missing...), no? You never know until you're a mother...
    Glad you can type now! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor thing!! I've done a similar thing before and it sliced into the palm of my hand!! I know it hurts and becomes a nuisance because you use your hands so much!! Big kisses and hope you feel better soon!!

    :) Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephenie,

    Sorry to read you were hurt. Hope things are soon back to normal. Tell Jason to lock up the Waterford!

    Imani's room will look great with hard wood floors. I'm sure she's very excited about the makeover.

    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word! That is just horrible and sounds so very painful. I understand completely about the thought of the vase though. I probably would have been thinking the same thing. I am sure the room is going to be beautiful and I would love to be able to install hardwood floors through out my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephenie, that looks painful! I hope you're not left with any lasting damage...I would hate it if poor Jason got to take ALL the credit for all the fantastic things you're doing around the house. Although orchestrating from the sidelines may have some benefits! Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your injury. It doesn't look like it would be easy to type, at all!

    The floor is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the hugest bandage. What a freaky accident. Glad your okay and feeling better. I love your daughter's sympathy bandage on her finger. That's so funny but so sweet. Can't wait to see how her room turns out. It was pretty to begin with.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment! I truly appreciate your feedback.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts with Thumbnails