PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Simple (and cheap) Valentine's Mantel

I decided to put together a very simple Valentine's Mantel on the cheap, since we've been working toward our New Year's Resolution.

It wasn't easy because I keep seeing cute Valentine's displays all over the Internet and tons of cool Valentine's decor in stores.

But it is possible to decorate inexpensively.

Here's what I came up with.





Most of the items were found throughout my house, like the white pitcher and creamer (which were thrifted last year).  It wouldn't be a Decorating Addiction Mantel without some white pitchers!  I just tied a little ribbon left over from Christmas around the pitcher and left the little creamer alone.




The chippy window has been in our basement since we bought this house five years ago.  I put it in the background to add some dimension.

Imani came home from school and said,

"Oh I love the mantel mom . . . but I'm just not sure why that junky window is behind everything!"

I think I need to take her to Anthropologie some time.

The large apothecary jar was a TJ Maxx purchase last year for $7.  We've had it sitting around in a corner collecting dust not sure what to do with it and we had the cherries that we purchased at Target last year.




The red plate is actually one of those cheapy plastic chargers that are sold around Christmas time.  I have a ton of them in red and gold so I pulled one out and put some vinyl on it.




The plate stand was purchased at a thrift store for 79 cents a while back, but I think they also sell them at the dollar store.


The two little plaques (I don't know what they are called) were a purchase at Hobby Lobby, specifically for this display.   They were on clearance for $2.49 each and I bought some scrapbooking stickers with quotes about love to put on them.

Did I mention that I won a Silhouette machine from Beneath My Heart last week?!  I cannot wait to get it so I can use it for projects like this instead of buying stickers!






And finally, the milk glass plate was a purchase from Hub's Place over the summer (it was less than $5).  I put a ribbon through it and placed it on another one of my 79 cent plate holders. 


I found the candlestick at the Salvation Army about a month ago for 99 cents and I just put a candle I had from my house on it.  I might have to give that candlestick a coat of a darker red spray paint eventually, because I'm not really feeling that color but for now, it'll have to do.






And there you have it . . . a simple (and cheap!!) Valentine's mantel.





Can you believe I've already got a plan for next year's Valentine's Mantel?  But it's not going to be cheap so I have to start planning now!





Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



5 comments:

  1. Oh...so you're the one that won the Silhoutte I wanted so badly....!!!! Ha!! I went ahead a bought one for myself & am anxious to get it & get started creating...maybe we can share stuff??!!!!
    Love your mantle, simple, sweet, & didn't cost much...good job!!!!
    ♥'s
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. STUNNING! I love the contrast of the bright red against the white. Also love the charger with '14' on it. You and I will always use books and quotes on our mantels! Steph, you'd never know you created this 'mantlepiece' so inexpensively. Beautiful job!

    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    PS Imani's comment made me laugh. Don't feel too bad. I once came home to find a very proud Thomas who 'surprised' me by sanding and painting a perfectly chippy/ shabby piece of furniture. His words: Now it's as good as new! :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I have a similar wooden candle holder that I've been meaning to paint but just didn't know what color and I love the red! So, I'm off to the store for paint! lol

    Sarah
    http://pampereddaughterthriftywife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm constantly amazed by the mantle ideas I see from the northern hemisphere! Wish I had a mantle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephenie, what a beautiful and creative Valentine's mantel! The window frame pulls it all so perfectly together.

    You have a lovely blog, and I'm so glad that your visit on my SITS day afforded me the opportunity to find and follow you!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment! I truly appreciate your feedback.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts with Thumbnails