PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, May 6, 2010

I Think It's Because We're Young

A few weeks ago when Jason and I went to Snooty Fox Antiques, we were inspired by the many cool ways Dick and Jane displayed their antiques.

They are the king and queen of repurposing and I just felt the urge to take a million pictures so I could copy everything at my house.  But I'm not that bold . . . yet.

I also wanted to touch everything like a little kid in a toy store. 

Jason and I both loved how Jane had a lot of plants and flowers in various bowls, buckets and dishes.

So we picked up what we thought was an oversized white mug.  Jane had it proudly displayed on a table with a beautiful lilly planted in it.

When we went to cash out, Jane giggled, "Oh good," she said smiling.  "I'm glad to see someone else who loves chamber pots."

Isn't that what people used to use to go to the bathroom?  I was feeling very foolish but I didn't say anything.

I casually moseyed on over to Jason and quietly whispered, "Did you know that mug was a chamber pot?"

"Ewwwwww . . . it is?" Jason asked.

Phew. I was so relieved that he didn't know either.  He always knows more than me.

It must just be because we're young, I justified in my own head.  I notice I've been doing this a lot lately as I approach my mid-30s. 

"Do you still want to get it?" I asked.

"Yeah, you?" he asked.

"Yep."

 A little repurposing here didn't bother me.

And so . . .

Here's my chamber pot proudly displayed on my dining room table. 




Imani is often interested in the history of various antiques we bring home so when I told her what this used to be used for, she got all grossed out and swore she wouldn't eat if it was on the dinner table.

It's still there and she doesn't appear to be starving.



7 comments:

  1. That's an AWESOME story.

    I remember my ex soaking his sore foot in a dutch oven...my grandma always checked to see what cookware I used to make dinner in after that.

    :) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... I love it. So funny!
    I would have bought it too!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my grandma having one of these in the days of outside loos! Yours looks great but I completely understand Imana's reaction...but great that she's interested in 'history'!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's just think of it as a mug on steroids and all is fine. It does look good with the plant in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. svinch@twcny.rr.comMay 7, 2010 at 1:44 AM

    May I suggest you place it on a stand by itself, not because of Imani's Dinning idea. Just think of how much more dramatical it will look on a stand by itself. And I think more people would be curious about it. Right now they think it is just a over size planter, where as if it was on a stand by itself they might be a little more curious about the piece itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't say I would have known that was a chamber pot either. If I was to guess, I would have thought a chamber pot would have had 2 handles. Whatever it was in its former life (don't get an image), it looks amazing with a plant in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know what a chamber pot was either... either way, it looks great on your table!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment! I truly appreciate your feedback.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts with Thumbnails