PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, December 20, 2010

Gingerbread House Workshop

One of my favorite holiday traditions is making gingerbread houses.  Since we aren't having a Christmas party this year, I decided we'd have a small get together with family and friends to host a gingerbread house workshop.

I supplied the gingerbread and icing and I constructed the houses in advance so that they would be dried and sturdy for decorating. Each family brought a variety of candies to share.




We ended up having an abundance of candy!   Each family was given an egg carton to select candies they wanted to use for their construction.




So we turned on the Christmas music and each family planned their house.






And began decorating.








And their visions of gingerbread houses began to come to life.




The finished products looked delightful.












There was so much candy left over that I was able to send it with Imani to school for their Gingerbread House party.


If you are not feeling up to making gingerbread, you can buy the pre-made kits, but they are a bit expensive and they don't offer a lot of candy options.  You can also find the pre-made gingerbread pieces in the bakery or bulk-food section of the supermarket (which is what I used). They are less expensive than the kits (the pieces were $3.99 at my local supermarket).  The kits were $12.99.


Or if you want to skip the gingerbread all together, you could use a paper mache house and spray paint it brown like Eddie Ross did here.

His finished product could fool anyone! It's perfect.



 
Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. I just love anything gingerbread. What a fun party! This year I discovered Gingerbread Play Dough and I love it! http://www.heidisrecipes.com/2010/12/gingerbread-play-dough-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I was there!
    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment! I truly appreciate your feedback.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts with Thumbnails