PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Drawer Pulls = No Drama

I remember about eight years ago when Imani's father and I were splitting up.  Not only was my family as I knew it falling apart, but everything in my life seemed in disarray.

I couldn't believe I was finding myself in this situation -- a single mom of a bi-racial daughter - 

with no clue how to raise a child

and no clue how to raise a bi-racial daughter

and  no clue how to get my life on track.

I needed a break, so I packed Imani in the car and headed off to Virginia with a friend. She was going to visit her daughter and I was going to visit my friend Jennifer, who I'd known since kindergarten.

We made the 12 hour trek together and, looking back, I'm surprised my friend agreed to travel such a long distance with a two-and-a-half year old in the back seat.  I'm glad she did.

Staying with Jennifer was a welcome break from all the craziness I was experiencing. My life had become something off a bad, dramatic daytime talk show like Ricki Lake or Maury Povich and my head was spinning.

Jennifer's house offered me peace and quiet.  In my thinking I noticed a recurrent theme in Jennifer's house.

She had fancy drawer pulls on her dressers, bureaus and cabinets. 

I remember we had dinner at another friend's house during my stay and lo and behold, she too had fancy drawer pulls -- drawer pulls shaped like flowers, birds, butterflies . . .

I commented on their drawer pulls and how fancy they looked and I think Jennifer and Laura both thought I was joking.

"Seriously, Steph . . . drawer pulls take all of five minutes to put on!" Jennifer said laughing.

I thought about it for a minute.

"I guess when your life is so full of drama, you don't have time to notice drawer pulls," I said. 
 "That's it. When I go home, I'm getting fancy drawer pulls." 

It sounds silly, but I was dead serious.  When your life isn't full of drama, you can notice the details around your house.  It became a running joke that week and when I left, Jennifer and Laura gave me six of these:



I still have them and will likely keep them forever.
To me, they are symbolic of having a drama-free life (for the most part!!). 
Sure, life gets hectic and crazy, but it's not out of control anymore.


And I'm happy to report that just the other day, I was in Hobby Lobby perusing one of my favorite aisles and I remembered Jennifer and Laura.




So I made a little purchase for our little guy's bedroom.

And when I got home, I replaced these





with these












May he have a life free of drama.




What about you?  Do you have fancy drawer pulls?



3 comments:

  1. Stephenie,

    This was a great post.The drawer pulls Jennifer and Laura gifted you were even more symbolic because they were butterflies and you had gone through your own metamorphosis. I'm with you, the less drama the better. The drawer pulls you picked out for the little man are beautiful.

    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't best friends and beautiful drawer pulls awesome! Great post - and I love the blue pulls! I have a few fancy pulls, but I'm pretty sure I need more....on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post! So sweet and so true. Let's hear it for drama-free! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment! I truly appreciate your feedback.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts with Thumbnails