PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, February 7, 2011

Upcycled Valentine's Day Wreath

After I made my winter wreath, I knew I was going to do the same thing for Valentine's day using
red and burgundy sweaters.

In case you missed it, here is the winter wreath.



And you can find the tutorial on how to make one for yourself here.


When I made the winter wreath, I used four different sweaters and I ended up having plenty of fabric left over so this time, I wanted to try to use fewer sweaters.

I found a perfect burgandy sweater at the Salvation Army for 2.99 on half off day, so I paid about $1.50.  Then I found a red fleece for the same price.  I was hoping that two women's sweaters (size medium) would be enough fabric to complete the wreath but I wasn't sure if two would be quite enough.

I followed the exact same steps to make this wreath as I did the winter wreath except this time I made all of the flowers first because I wanted to make sure I had enough to cover the wreath form.



I do need to emphasize how important it is if you do this project to felt the sweaters first before making your flowers.  To felt a sweater, it must be 100 percent wool.  You need to put it in the washing machine on HOT water and then dry it at the highest setting.  When it comes out, it will be a shrunken up version of
its older self.

If you don't felt the sweater, your flowers could come unraveled and will look sloppy.

I ended up having a bunch of little flowers left over, so two women's sweaters (size medium) were more then enough.





Any suggestions as to what I should do with all the left over flowers?


Linking up with









The DIY Show Off



Making










Sumo Sweet Stuff




Keeping It Simple




handmade projects


Today's Creative Blog

The Girl Creative





Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!

504 Main


Stuff and Nonsense

20 comments:

  1. Stephenie,

    I like this one even more than your winter wreath! You could add the extras to a pillow or hot glue them to a headband (for Imani) or hot glue a pin to the back and use them as pins/corsages.
    Great job!

    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suggestion for the left over flowers, create a heart shape for your mantle of for your side door.

    Love the wreath!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great color and texture! I love BOTH wreaths! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephenie the red is even more beautiul than the white - so deep, dark and rich. One suggestion - the plastic wreath hanger is taking away from the fabric texture and round form, do you have a 3M command hook or some ribbon to tie over the plastic? It's so lovely it should shine (Anne Hathaway's red lips come to mind.)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever. Make pins, hair bows, or headbands with the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your first winter wreath, and love this one just as much. Might be heading to the goodwill tomorrow!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! With the leftovers, I would make a smaller version or one in a heart shape to hang on Imani's bedroom door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooooh....pretty! I want to make one! I love the colors you used.
    Susan : )
    http://sanctuaryhomebysusancooke.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the left over flowers...I would attach wire and cover in green floral tape...and wa la...long stem roses for your favorite valentines....or in a vase. There's my two cents.
    Susan :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fell in love with your winter wreath and just adore your Valentine's one as well!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Jamie - I TOTALLY agree. I will be getting the 3M hooks soon to get rid of the plastic. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Sanctuary Home - I love the idea of attaching the flowers to stems for long-stem roses! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of your wreaths are divine. I think I like the one done in the neutrals the best. Loved all the different textures.
    I saw a post where someone attached the flowers to a front of a basket.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! Your design is so pretty! Now you have to make them for all the seasons : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! So very, very sweet! But ... I don't need another project! :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is beautiful! Love repurposing old things into new and pretty crafts.

    If you're not all 'partied' out, I would love for you to join my Fridays Unfolded linky at http://www.stuff-and-nonsense.net/2011/02/fridays-unfolded-5.html

    New follower here!

    Blessings,

    Alison
    Stuff and Nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE both of these wreaths! I would love for you to link up any of your projects to my Ten Buck Tuesday link parties!

    And I'm a new follower :)

    www.youngnester.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking up to Fridays Unfolded!

    Blessings,

    Alison
    Stuff and Nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! I love the color combinations you chose, and the fact that your wreaths use upcycled sweaters. Brilliant! Extra flowers? Hmmm....maybe an embellished purse or caryall made from recycled sweaters as well?

    Thank you so much for sharing another wonderful project on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment! I truly appreciate your feedback.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts with Thumbnails