PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Entry Revealed

The entry is ready for the big reveal.  So if you recall, the original entry looked like the local pre-school did their lesson in primary colors on our walls.  Here was the orignial entry when we bought the house.   That is a big pile of cat-stinking carpeting at the base of the stairs that we immediately pulled out.


CRAZINESS!

As you can imagine, we scrambled to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to fix the entry so that it would be half-way presentable when people came over.   A family member came to the rescue and gave us new doors for the closet.  The problem was, they didn't exactly fit so Jason had to cut them and re-install hardware to get them to fit right.

There was a lot more to do than just change out the doors.  Jason removed the wall going up the stairs and installed a banister and spindles.  He also installed a marble floor in the entry.  He removed all the paneling and sheetrocked the whole room.  Then, he got on a trim kick and installed shadow-box trim in the whole room and up the stairs too (more on that in a future post).

After ripping out the carpeting, we refinished the stairs, but the bottom stair color didn't match the rest of the stairs.  So NONE of the wood matched - the doors, the stairs, the handrail. 



We didn't know what to do so we just left everything for three years! It wasn't terrible, but I hated the 1970s lacqured doors and all of the mismatched wood:






Finally, I decided I wanted to paint the stairs, railing and closet black.  After Jason stained everything black, I decided I wanted the door black too.  That's what took us a little longer to reveal it all to you.  I will say that this was a bit controversial among my blog readers, friends and family!  I never knew how opinionated everyone was about other people's home improvements!  I was so happy to get everyone's opinions, and, in the end, we decided to move forward with the black.




I hope you like it as much as we do! (insert big drum roll here) . . . .




Now we just have to figure out what we're going to hang on the wall going up the stairs. I was debating on stenciling numbers on the stair risers, but have decided to hold off on that. Thoughts?





I'm linking up with Show n Tell Friday





Photobucket
 

18 comments:

  1. I will admit, I was one of those doubters, but you definitely proved me wrong. Absolutely beautiful! I love it! Aunt El

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, no longer looks like McDonalds colors! :) I love the box trim... I'm about to do that in our entryway too. I have so many projects in my brain that I think it scares the beejeebers out of my hubby! Not that I ask him to do any of the work, he just knows I'm gonna be sawing and hammering a lot and he might have to eat sandwiches instead of steaks! LOL
    Anyway, I LOVE all you guys have done to your entry..it looks like a different house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a difference! It looks so fresh. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bee-You-Tee-Full! GREAT job with great pictures! I hopped in from The Girl Creative. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place soon when you get a moment. until later...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have painted it all black too! That took it from ho hum expected to Wow! I absolutely love this before and after transformation. I would not stencil the stairs though. Would love to see botanicals framed in black marching up the stairs! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out beautiful! I LOVE your stairs! Thanks for posting at Favorite Things Friday! And for your nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, it looks great!!! You did such s good job!
    I am following you now, come follow me. Happy New Friend Friday!!
    Gros bisous
    Frenchy

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING transformation!!!! Its so Chic and classy now!
    I found you on Friend Friday!

    http://dharma-waits.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! The black and white is so striking. GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a difference a little paint makes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I love the steps. They look amazing. That was such a great idea. WOW! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Steps look great...number them for fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your makeover with BLACK is absolutely amazing. I would go for a group of framed mirrors on the walls instead of stencils, painted black, for a eye-catching decoration!
    Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! Such a transformation! I love the stairs, I'd say go for some numbers! Vinyl would work great too if you didn't want to stencil them :)

    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the black. the crisp clean white sets it off perfectly....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that black door!

    Sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a transformation...this turned out great.

    I would love for you to stop by for a visit and enter my giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my glory, that is fabulous! You know how I feel about all things painted black. I have a slight obsession with that paint color myself. It turned out perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment! I truly appreciate your feedback.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts with Thumbnails