PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Postcard Memories

When I was a kid, one day I decided I would collect postcards.  I remember seeing it in a magazine and thinking it was really cool, so I started keeping postcards that were sent to me and buying postcards that I thought were interesting.  I started tacking them up on the back of my bedroom door, and before I knew it, the door was filled with postcards.  Unfortunately, my collection wasn't very diverse.  Being from a working-class family in a rural town in Upstate New York, we didn't travel much and neither did many of my friends.  The travel we did do, was along the East Coast and I appreciated that my parents took me wherever they could afford.  One of my favorite vacations was to Maine.  There was something that just felt good about that trip.

Somewhere along the way, I decided that the postcards just didn't look good on the back of my wall. I just couldn't figure out a way to display them in an attractive way. If you have a collection and have found a way to attractively display it, please share!

I was also probably partially frustrated that I didn't have postcards from all over the country, so I dismantled my display and threw out all the postcards.   

I came across a great link party on The Fairfield House.  Deborah is hosting a party to try to collect postcards from each state.  Once she receives one from every state, she is having a give-a-way for a New Jersey themed box of goodies.   If you haven't linked up yet, go over there and check it out. 
If only I had had the Internet when I was a kid.  I could have completed my collection with one simple McLinky party! 

2 comments:

  1. Stephenie,

    I do display my antique cards. I have some matted and framed. Others are in a glass encased coffee table with some other antique documents we have. I also have some in those wire photo holders that people use to hold multiple photographs.
    Thank you for the shout out. Your postcard will soon be on it's way!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. IF you are still looking for postcards from all over you should check out lawn sales. I have found alot of them at local lawn sales, or auctions.
    If you want I can keep an eye open for them at my next trip to the lawn sales.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment! I truly appreciate your feedback.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts with Thumbnails